The other day I thinned out my carrots in the garden and needed a way to use up the little rainbow carrots that I pulled. I love roasted butternut squash soup, so I figured that I could use carrots in place of the squash. The soup was quick to pull together and tasted good. You can add in additional seasonings if you choose, but I like the simplicity of this recipe. SERVES 4-6
– 1 pound of carrots
– 1 Tbsp. of neutral-flavoured oil
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 1/4 tsp pepper
– 1 can of coconut milk
– 1 cup of water
– 1 vegan bouillon cube (I used GoBIO! Organic Vegetable Bouillon Cubes)
– salt and pepper, to taste
– optional: 1-2 tsp cumin
1. Preheat oven to 425F
2. Peel and chop carrots (approx. 1 inch)
3. Season with salt, pepper and oil
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes until softened
5. Put carrots, along with all other ingredients into a high-powered blender (e.g., Vitamix). Alternative: if you do not have a high-powered blender, then combine ingredients into a large pot on the stove, and blend with an immersion blender. You may need to warm the soup if not using a high-powered blender.
6. Season to taste with salt and pepper. You can thin out the soup to your desired consistency with additional water.