If you garden, or know someone who gardens, then you know that it’s the season where you have more zucchini than you know what to do with. Zucchini goes on our pizza, in our tacos, and in our pasta and we are still left with more zucchini to use up. My husband requested that I make some “normal” zucchini bread. I wanted double or maybe even triple chocolate zucchini bread, so this version was our compromise.
I made this recipe with my youngest daughter (age 3), so the recipe isn’t too difficult. We used oil instead of coconut oil because it’s much easier for her to work with and measure. If you try it with coconut oil, please let me know how it turns out. This zucchini bread reminds me of the one my grandma makes, but it doesn’t contain any eggs or dairy.
MAKES 1 LOAF.
– 2 Tbsp. ground flax seed
– 3 Tbsp. water
– 2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 Tbsp. baking powder
– 1 tsp. cinnamon
– 1/2 tsp. salt
– 3/4 cup coconut sugar
– 1/2 cup neutral-flavoured oil (I used grapeseed oil)
– 1/2 cup dairy-free milk
– 2 tsp. vanilla
– 1.5 cups grated zucchini
– 1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips (or walnuts)
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Combine water and flax seed and set aside.
3. Combine and mix the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.
4. Combine the coconut sugar, oil, milk vanilla, zucchini and flax/water mixture into a medium-sized bowl.
5. Gently fold wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined.
6. Pour into a greased 8 x 4 inch (1.5L) loaf pan. I use parchment paper for easy clean-up.
7. Bake for 60 minutes, or until cake tester/toothpick comes out clean.
8. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes. Turn onto a baking rack to let cool.