As I’ve already mentioned several times in my blog, I love bread. I also love a good topping for toasted baguette. This recipe is full of healthy, filling ingredients that won’t make you feel bad when you load up your bread.
This recipe is pretty flexible and you can use switch out for walnuts or portabella mushrooms. You can also play around with the herbs and spices you have on hand.
MAKES APPROX. 1.5 CUPS
– 1 cup of pecans, soaked for 1 hour
– 1 pound of cremini mushrooms
– 2 Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
– 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
– 2 Tablespoons tamari
– 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
– 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
– 1 Tablespoon dried sage (you can use fresh if you have it, but use a bit more)
– 1 teaspoon thyme
– salt and pepper, to taste
– optional: 1 Tablespoon chopped sun-dried tomatoes
1. Soak the pecans for one hour.
2. Clean and destem the mushrooms. Roughly chop them.
3. Sauté the garlic in the oil for 1 minute.
4. Add in the mushrooms and cook down until the liquid is released (approx. 5 minutes).
5. Add in all ingredients into a food processor. Mince until everything is finely chopped, but not a paste.
6. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Let sit in the fridge for an hour or more for the flavours to combine.
8. Serve with crackers, toasted bread, or as a spread on sandwiches.