Last week there was one cool and rainy day. A soup day. There is not much else easier than a big crockpot of soup to feed a family either. I threw in whatever produce we had (minus zucchinis) into the slow cooker with the beans and served it with some homemade bread. This soup is hearty and is a family favourite.
MAKES APPROX. 5-6 servings
– 2 Tablespoons of oil
– 1 cup of chopped carrots (approx. 1/2 pound)
– 1 stalk of celery, chopped
– 2 cloves of garlic, minced
– 1 cup of chopped sweet potatoes or potatoes (or a mix of the two)
– 1 cup of navy beans (approx. 1/2 pound)
– 1/2 cup chopped apple
– 6 cups of water
– 1 vegan, organic vegetable bouillon cube (or you could do 3 cups of veggie stock and 3 cups of water)
– 1 tsp. dried thyme
– 1 tsp. dried rosemary
1. Clean and cut up all of the vegetables/fruit.
2. Add all ingredients to your slow cooker.
3. Cook for 4-5 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
4. Using an immersion blender, or a potato masher, blend up approximately half of the soup so that the soup is slightly pureed, but there are still some pieces of vegetables/beans left.
5. Adjust seasoning to taste. If you want a thinner soup, then add additional water. My husband also likes to add a little hot sauce to the soup, although I make it without for the family.