As promised, here is a recipe that includes the peach chia jam that I made last week. I wanted to make these bars to bring with me to the race as a healthier treat, but there weren’t any left by the time it came to pack up the cooler. This is the only other recipe that I will be sharing this week as I’m away for an 8 day racing event. Although we have a kitchen, I didn’t bring any of my cooking/baking stuff to make anything since we are already getting fed so well at the race.
MAKES APPROX. 16 bars
– 2 Tablespoons ground flaxseed
– 3 Tablespoons of water
– 1 2/3 cup oats (1 cup oat flour, 2/3 cup regular oats)
– 1 cup organic spelt flour
– 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
– 1/2 cup organic coconut sugar
– 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
– 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
– 1 tsp cinnamon
– 1/2 cup coconut oil
– 2 Tablespoons non-dairy milk
– 1/4 cup real maple syrup
– 1 teaspoon vanilla
– 1.5 cups of peach chia jam (or another chia jam of your choice)
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Line a 9×9 pan with parchment paper.
3. Mix flaxseed and water and set aside.
4. Grind 1 cup of the oats into oat flour (or use 1 cup of oat flour).
5. Add all of the dry ingredients together (oats, spelt, coconut, brown sugar, salt, baking soda, cinnamon) in a large bowl and mix.
6. Melt the coconut oil.
7. In a medium bowl mix together the wet ingredients (coconut oil, almond milk, maple syrup, vanilla) to it. Do not add in the chia jam.
8. Combine the dry and wet ingredients together and mix.
9. Pour most of the crumb mixture into the pan (minus 1/2 cup). Pat the mixture down to form an even layer.
10. Spread the chia jam over the mixture. Top with remaining crumb mixture (1/2 cup). Optional: you can sprinkle with additional coconut.
11. Bake for 28-32 minutes until lightly brown on top.
12. Let cool for 1/2 hour before removing from the pan or cutting.