This is a super quick soup to make and it is meant to be made with the use of a high-powered blender. You just throw all of the ingredients into the blender, blend, and then warm up on the stove. If you have a Vitamix, you really don’t even need to warm it up on the stove! It really is only 1-2 steps and takes no more time than opening up a can of soup.
We grow tomatoes in our garden, so we had lots of tomatoes to use up. You can use this recipe with canned tomatoes if you want. We used Black Krim Heirloom tomatoes, and although the colour of the soup was a gross brown colour in the blender, it turned a nice pale orange once we began to warm it up on the stove.
If you do not have a high-powered blender, you may want to soak the cashews for 6 hours beforehand.
– 28 ounces fresh tomatoes (you can use canned as an alternative)
– 1/4 cup fresh basil
– 1/2 cup cashews (add additional cashews up to a cup if you want it more creamy or rich)
– 1-2 cloves of garlic
– 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
– 1/8 tsp baking soda
– salt and pepper to taste
1. Add all ingredients into a high-powered blender and blend until smooth
2. Warm stove on medium heat for 15-20 minutes to allow it to cook down a bit, stirring occasionally. Serve!
OPTIONS: Top with basil, pesto, or cashew cream. We like to serve it with fresh bread or croutons.