I’m a huge fan of cashew cheese. I haven’t found another type of cheese that I really enjoy, so I’m always making nut-based cheese. This recipe is another one we are always making in our house. I like it on crackers, veggies, sandwiches, burgers and sometimes as a base for a flatbread pizza.
The garlic flavour becomes more pronounced as it sits, so if you are serving right away, then you may want to add the garlic powder.
MAKES APPROXIMATELY 1 CUP
– 1.5 cups raw unsalted cashews
– 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
– 1/4 cup lemon juice
– 2 heads of roasted garlic
– salt to taste
– 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
1. Roast your garlic*
2. Put all of the ingredients into a high-powered blender (e.g., Vitamix) and blend until really smooth, scraping down sides as you go. This will take a bit of time, depending on your blender. If you need to, you can add in a little bit of water at a time. However, if you add too much it will become more of a dip, rather than a spread.
3. Adjust seasoning to taste.
3. Store in fridge.
* If you do not have a garlic roaster, use the oven. Cut off the tops of your garlic heads and top with 1 Tablespoon of oil. Wrap in aluminum foil and bake for 30-35 minutes in a 400F oven. The garlic should feel soft and squeeze out easily.)