When I first started running, I didn’t know anything about fueling for my longer runs. I would do a whole marathon or long run without anything but water. It wasn’t until maybe 5 years ago that I started to take anything.
I’ve pretty much only use the GU brand because I like the consistency and don’t find them too overly sweet. However, to be honest, I really haven’t tried too many different brands.
When I was doing the EndurRun, I heard about these new one called “Endurance Tap Energy Gel.” They have one flavour – salted maple. The sugar comes from a natural form, which is something I really like. So, I finally bought one to try last weekend when I was in Ottawa. Have you heard of it before?
Below is a comparison based on my needs/likes
- simple, natural ingredients. Only three ingredients: Maple Syrup, Ginger and Sea Salt
- tastes just like maple syrup
- it’s supposed to be highly-water soluble, meaning that you don’t need to wash down with water. I think that would be great during a race when you have to wait until you know a water station is coming up to take a gel.
- supposed to not cause any stomach problems – never an issue for me.
- resealable lid.
- the packaging is a bit bulky. I couldn’t fit multiple in my one pocket. I guess it would depend on what you are wearing. I’m afraid that the lid may dig into me when storing in my front pocket of my shorts.
- not sure how well I could open it up during a race. Usually, I just bite it open. The lid takes a bit more work to get it open.
- a bit more money than my GU gels.
What do you think of Endurance Tap? What is your favourite fuel for long runs?