There was snow yesterday and today it is raining. I think that calls for soup! This soup is a hit with the entire family and even my children were looking for second helpings.
If you don’t have time for the coconut bacon, don’t worry about it. You can add whatever toppings you want, such as nutritional yeast, croutons, or dairy-free sour cream. If you want it extra creamy and want some additional nutrients, I suggest using the cashew cream.
If you want your potato soup to have chunks of potatoes (rather than entirely smooth), then add the end you will take them out before pureeing. If you are doing that, take more time to cut your potatoes more evenly into the size of chunks that you want.
MAKES 6 LARGE SERVINGS
– 7 cups of water
– 1 cup cashew cream, optional (1 cup soaked raw cashews blended with 1 cup water until really smooth)
– 1 vegan vegetable bouillon cube
– 1 large carrot, roughly chopped
– 1.5 cups sweet potato (approx. 1 potato), roughly chopped
– 4 large russet potatoes, cut into large cubes
– 3 cloves garlic, minced
– 1/2 yellow onion (1/4 cup), roughly chopped
– 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
– salt and pepper, to taste
– toppings (coconut bacon, nutritional yeast, or both)
1. In a very large pot add all of the ingredients, except for the toppings.
2. Over medium low heat, cook until reduced by about 1/3 (40 minutes or so). Stir occasionally.
3. Remove some of the potatoes and set aside. Puree the remainder of the soup with an emersion blender or in a blender. If you are using cashew cream, then add that in before pureeing. If you would prefer the entire soup to be smooth, puree it all without removing the potatoes.
4. Served with desired toppings. I highly recommend the coconut bacon!