I love the Pesto Vegenaise that you can buy in the stores. The only problem is that a year ago our local store changed ownership and no longer carries it and the natural foods store in the next town over closed down. Luckily, I discovered that I can make my own mayo at home for much cheaper and in less time then it takes to go to the store.
This recipe is done all in one blender, so it is quick and easy to make. You can adjust the seasoning to your own tastes. I didn’t add pine nuts to it because the ingredient list on the Pesto Vegenaise didn’t include it, but you could always just through in your own homemade pesto with pine nuts in place of the lemon juice/basil/nutritional yeast/salt.
MAKES APPROXIMATELY 1.5-2 CUPS
– 1.5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
– 1/2 teaspoon organic apple cider vinegar
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 cup packed fresh basil
– 2-3 cloves grated or chopped garlic
– 1 teaspoon garlic powder
– 1/8 teaspoon pepper
– 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
– 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
– 1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk
– 1 cup grapeseed oil
1. Combine all of ingredients, except for the soy milk and grapeseed oil into the blender. Blend for 5-10 seconds, or until basil is roughly chopped.
2. Add in the soy milk.
3. On medium speed, slowly add in the grapeseed oil. Blend until the mixture has thickened.
4. Store in fridge. If it separates, you can easily just mix it back together.