Here’s another addition to your holiday spread for those who have allergies or dietary restrictions. Vegan, dairy-free, peanut-free, gluten-free, wheat-free, soy-free, egg-free.
I was going to make a spiced version of my favourite bar, but we were all out of the ingredients I needed after last night’s dinner and I already had most of the ingredients measured out. So, although I didn’t plan on it, this is another recipe with peppermint. Luckily, it is the holidays and I can possibly get away with it.
*If you are using medjool dates, you don’t need to soak the dates beforehand. If using another type of date, soak them for 1/2 hour in warm water before trying to puree.
MAKES ONE 9×9 pan
– 1 flax egg (2 tablespoons ground flax seed, 3 tablespoons water)
– 3/4 cup brown rice flour
– 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
– 1 tablespoon organic cane sugar
– 1 tablespoon organic coconut sugar
– 1/2 cup cocoa powder
– 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
– 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
– 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
– pinch of salt
– 3 tablespoons date puree (1/4 cup pureed)
– 1/2 cup brown rice syrup
– 1/3 cup sunflower butter
– 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
– 1/3 cup dairy-free chocolate chips, melted (I used Enjoy Life)
– 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
– 1/4 dairy-free chocolate chips, melted
– 1 crushed candy cane
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9×9 pan with parchment paper. Make sure that the parchment paper goes up the sides too so that you can easily remove the bars.
2. Prepare your flax egg by mixing the water and flax. Set aside.
3. Mix all of your dry ingredients together in one bowl.
4. Make your date puree by blending your dates in a food processor.
5. Mix together your wet ingredients in another bowl (flax egg, dates, sunflower butter, peppermint extract, rice syrup, melted coconut oil, and melted chocolate chips).
NOTE: you can melt the chocolate chips in the microwave on high for a minute. Do not overheat or the chocolate chips will harden.
6. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well. It will be thick.
7. Scoop mixture into prepared pan and spread using wet hands. Bake at 350 for 14 minutes.
8. Let bars sit in pan for 10 minutes to cool. Then remove to cooling rack and let cool completely.
9. Once cool, drizzle with melted chocolate and sprinkle with crushed candy cane.