If you have ever wanted to know how to make refried beans, then here is your recipe. They aren’t really fried and they really don’t take a lot of work. The longest time is spent just waiting for the beans to cook, and you don’t have to do a thing during that time.
We always freeze the leftovers in single servings. That way, we always have refried beans on hand and don’t have to buy a canned version.
MAKES APPROXIMATELY 2 CUPS
– 1 cup pinto beans
– 4 cups water
– 1 head of roasted garlic
– 1 1/2 cups diced tomatoes
– 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
– 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
– 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
– 1/2 – 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
– 1.5 teaspoon salt (you can start at 1 teaspoon and work from there de)
1. Roast your garlic. You can use a garlic roaster, or roast in your oven covered in tinfoil.
2. Meanwhile, add the beans, water, and tomatoes to a pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium low and simmer until beans are cooked and the liquid is reduced by 1/3. This should take approximately 30-40 minutes.
3. Add in the garlic, olive oil, onion powder, cumin, chili powder, and 1 teaspoon salt.
4. Take off of heat and blend the mixture with an immersion blender. If you do not have an immersion blender, use a regular blender.
5. Adjust the seasoning to taste. If it isn’t thick enough for you, you can also cook it down further.