My creamy sauce is made with lots of healthy ingredients. The base is made up of a whole butternut squash and a cashew base. You can use this with pasta, as a dip, or whatever you normally use cheese sauce for.
I topped my pasta with this sauce and a bit of pesto. My girls love it just plain with pasta.
Besides the time to soak the cashews and roast the cashews, this recipe doesn’t take long to put together.
MAKES APPROXIMATELY 8 CUPS
– 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
– 1 cup water
– 1 large butternut squash
– 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
– 1 tablespoon lemon juice
– 1 large clove of garlic, minced
– 1.5 teaspoons salt
– pepper to taste
1. Soak your cashews over night. Drain and rinse.
2. Preheat your oven to 375C. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper for easy clean-up.
3. Cut your squash in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds. Place the squash cut side down on the baking sheet. Roast for 40 minutes.
4. Remove the squash from the oven and let cool enough so that you can work with it. Measure out 2 cups. If you are a bit short, it is okay.
5. Add the cashews to a high-speed blender. Add in 1 cup of water. Blend until smooth.
6. Add in the remainder of the ingredients to the blender. Blend until smooth. Adjust seasoning to taste.