Yes, this is pretty much the same recipe as I posted a couple of weeks ago, but with this recipe I changed two things. I used dates instead of cranberries (yum!) and I let the cheese sit for a solid 2 days in the fridge. Letting the cheese sit really firmed it up. You can really use whatever toppings you like. Toasted walnuts with the dates would be fantastic.
– 1.5 cups raw cashews, soaked overnight
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1.5 tablespoons lemon
– 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
– 2 tablespoons basil
– 1 teaspoon onion powder
-2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
– 4 tablespoons pistachios, chopped
– 2 medjool dates, chopped
1. Soak your cashews.
2. Add all of the ingredients, except for the toppings, into a high-powered blender. Blend until very smooth. You may need to add one or two tablespoons of water to get it going. Resist the urge to add more.
3. Pour all of your mixture into the middle of a cheesecloth. Shape it into a ball using the cheesecloth. Tie the end to a wooden spoon or long kitchen utensil and hang over a bowl or pitcher so that it can hang and drain. Store in fridge for at least 24 hours. You won’t notice much, if any, liquid in the bottom of the bowl/pitcher, but that’s okay. It is still firming up in the process. For optimal results, let it sit wrapped for 2 days.
4. Carefully unwrap the cheeseball and reshape it into a ball. You may need to scrape off the cheese from the cloth.
5. Roll the ball into your toppings.
6. Serve with crackers, bread, etc.