My Recipe for hot dog buns can easily be used to make hamburger or sandwich buns. These are plain buns that everyone can enjoy. If you want, you can play with the seasonings and add your favourite flavours. I like to add a little bit of fresh basil or pesto sometimes.I make these in a bread maker to make it easier for myself and saving time. If you prefer to do by hand or mixer, then follow the steps you normally would for that process.
MAKES 8 BUNS
– 3 cups all-purpose flour
– 2 tablespoons organic cane sugar
– 1.5 teaspoons instant yeast
– 1.5 teaspoons sea salt
– 1 cup warm water
– 4 tablespoons non-dairy butter (e.g., Earth Balance)
– 1 tablespoon non-sweetened almond milk
1. Combine all ingredients, except for the almond milk, into a bread maker. Set to dough cycle.
2. After dough has finished cycle, remove dough to lightly floured surface and divide into 8 sections.
3. Shape each of the sections into ball, rolling any seam underneath.
4. Place the buns onto a lightly greased pan, or pan lined with parchment paper or sprinkled with cornmeal/semolina. Space them around 1 inch apart (length-wise), so that when they are done rising, they will just barely touch each other. Cover with a damp towel and let proof until doubled in size (approximately 1.5 hours).
5. Flatten each ball with the palm of your hand. Cover and let rise 10 minutes.
6. Reheat oven to 375F. When dough is ready, brush the tops with a bit of non-sweetened almond milk and bake for approximately 25 minutes, until tops are golden brown.
7. Transfer to a cooling rack.