I’ve posted a recipe for zucchini bread in the past, but this is a different version that uses whole wheat flour and an egg replacer instead. This one is based off of my grandma’s recipe since her birthday would have been in a couple of days and I am reminded of how she was always baking loafs or pies for the legion. Also, the bags of grated zucchini in my freezer were begging to be used. This loaf is super moist and delicious. My daughter asked me what the green stuff was and still ate it. Both girls wanted it in their school lunches.
For the egg replacer, I use this one. You can even make your own or try a flax egg.
MAKES 1 LOAF
– 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
– 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
– 1 teaspoon baking soda
– 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
– 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 cup maple syrup
– 1 vegan egg (1 tablespoon egg-replacer and 1/4 cup water)
– 1/2 cup grapeseed oil or extra virgin olive oil
– 1 teaspoon vanilla powder or vanilla extract
– 1.5 cups grated zucchini, packed, squeezed of extra liquid
– 1/2 – 3/4 cup vegan dark chocolate chips (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a loaf pan or line with parchment paper.
2. Mix the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl.
3. In a large bowl, mix together the wet ingredients (not the zucchini yet)
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and gentle fold, only until incorporated.
5. Add in the zucchini and chocolate and gently fold in (do not overmix!)
6. Bake for 45-55 minutes until the loaf is golden and a toothpick comes out clean.
7. Let sit on a cooling rack for 10 minutes before trying to take the loaf out.