It is still cold out here in Canada, so a bowl of soup is perfect for these days. My daughter says that this soup is amazing! She even was trying to eat more while I was painting her nails. Now, that I think makes it a hit!
MAKES 8 SERVINGS
– 2.5 pounds potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
– 3 leeks, coarsely chopped
– 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
– 7 cups of vegetable stock
– 1 tablespoon thyme
– 1 tablespoon rosemary
– dash liquid smoke
– salt and pepper, to taste
– 1/2 – 1 cup almond or cashew cream
1. Prep your almond or cashew cream if you don’t have it already. To do this, soak 1/2 cup almonds or cashews overnight, or 30 minutes in hot water. If you are using almonds, after they have soaked, remove the skins.
2. Meanwhile, chop your vegetables
3. In a large stock pot, put the vegetables, seasoning and stock in. Do not put in the almond stock.
4. Over medium-low heat, simmer until the vegetables are tender and the soup has reduced slightly.
5. Make your almond cashew cream by putting the almonds/cashews into a high-powered blender and adding enough water to cover. Blend until super smooth. Add more water if needed.
6. Add 1/2-1 cup of the cream to the soup. Add more if you want it creamier. Mix.
7. Adjust seasoning to taste.