Adding coconut milk to your rice while it cooks give the rice a creamier texture. This rice is very versatile and is easy to make. I served it with roasted sweet potatoes and a side salad for a complete meal that is cost-effective and doesn’t take much up of your time.
MAKES 2 CUPS
– 1 teaspoon coconut oil
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
– 1 cup jasmine rice, rinsed
– 1 can of coconut milk, regular or reduced-fat
– 1/4 cup coconut water, or water
– 5 teaspoons lime juice (1/2 lime)
– 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
– red pepper flakes, to taste
1. In a small frying pan over medium low heat, melt the coconut oil and lightly brown the garlic and ginger (about 1-2 minutes)
2. Add all of the ingredients into a large pot, including ginger and garlic. Note: just add a bit of red pepper flakes to start and adjust to taste afterwards.
3. Bring to a boil
4. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 20 minutes
5. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes
6. Remove lid and stir the rice gently with a fork. Adjust seasoning to taste.