These are quick to make up if you use a food processor. You can double the batch if you want to have some extras to freeze or for some leftovers. These burgers are great for adults and kids! I serve with these buns.
You can also make these gluten-free by using gluten-free panko or bread crumbs.
MAKES 4-5 BURGERS
- 1 chia egg (1 tablespoon chia seeds + 3 tablespoons warm water)
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1.5 tablespoon tahini
- 2 tablespoons panko crumbs or bread crumbs
- 1.5 teaspoons coriander
- 1.5 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- Extra virgin olive oil or other oil of choice for frying – approximately 2 tablespoons or enough to cover bottom of pan
- Make your chia egg by combining the chia with warm water. Set aside and then come back and stir once or twice before you add into the burgers.
- Shred your carrot in the food processor by pulsing it. Add in the garlic and pulse for a couple of seconds.
- Add in all of the other ingredients, except for the chia egg and pulse only until combined. You want some small chunks to still be in there.
- Add in the chia egg and pulse. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Form into 4-5 patties. I use a 1/2 cup measure to make 4 evenly sized patties.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. When warm, add in your patties. Depending on the size of your pan, you may have to do this in 1-3 batches.
- Cook each side for approximate 4 minutes until crisp and golden brown.
- Flip the burgers and cook the other side. Try not to flip too many times or your patties may start to come apart.