These are quick to make up if you use a food processor. You can double the batch if you want to have some extras to freeze or for some leftovers. These burgers are great for adults and kids! I serve with these buns.
You can also make these gluten-free by using gluten-free panko or bread crumbs.
MAKES 4-5 BURGERS
- 1 chia egg (1 tablespoon chia seeds + 3 tablespoons warm water)
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1.5 tablespoon tahini
- 2 tablespoons panko crumbs or bread crumbs
- 1.5 teaspoons coriander
- 1.5 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- Extra virgin olive oil or other oil of choice for frying – approximately 1-2 tablespoons or enough to cover bottom of pan
- Make your chia egg by combining the chia with warm water. Set aside and then come back and stir once or twice before you add into the burgers.
- Shred your carrot in the food processor by pulsing it. Add in the garlic and pulse for a couple of seconds.
- Add in all of the other ingredients, except for the chia egg and pulse until combined. You want some small chunks to still be in there but you also want some to be fully blended to help bind the burgers.
- Add in the chia egg and pulse. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Form into 4-5 patties. I use a 1/2 cup measure to make 4 evenly sized patties.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. When warm, add in your patties. Depending on the size of your pan, you may have to do this in 1-3 batches.
- Cook each side for approximate 4 minutes until crisp and golden brown.
- Flip the burgers and cook the other side. Try not to flip too many times or your patties may start to come apart.