This recipe is an adaptation from my Double Banana Bars that I made last year. I bought some Wow butter because my daughter loves peanut butter and I wanted to send some to school, however, she wasn’t a fan. So, there may be a post or two where I’m using Wow Butter in an attempt to use it up. At least my treats are safe for school and still have a peanuty taste. If you want, you can totally sub real peanut butter or sunflower butter to make the recipe soy-free.
These bars are gluten-free, peanut-free, dairy-free and wheat-free. So, they are great for school lunches. If you make them with sunflower butter then they will also be soy-free.
These bars also are quick to make as they require only one bowl and need less than 1/2 hour cook time.
MAKES ONE 8×8 pan
– 1 flax egg (2 tablespoons ground flax seed, 3 tablespoons water)
– 3/4 cup brown rice flour
– 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
– 2 tablespoon organic cane sugar
– 1 tablespoon organic coconut sugar
– 3 tablespoons arrowroot powder
– 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
– 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
– pinch of salt
– 1/2 cup brown rice syrup
– 2/3 cup mashed bananas (around 2 bananas)
– 1/3 cup Wow Butter (or sunflower butter, or peanut butter)
– 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
– 1/4 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 8×8 pan with parchment paper. Make sure that the parchment paper goes up the sides too so that you can easily remove the bars.
2. Prepare your flax egg by mixing the water and flax in a large bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes to thicken.
3. Mix all of your dry ingredients together in one bowl.
4. Add in the remaining ingredients and mix until fully combined.
5. Scoop mixture into prepared pan and spread using slightly damp hands. Bake at 350 for 21-24 minutes, until the bars are set, golden and toothpick comes out clean.
8. Let bars sit in pan for 10 minutes to cool. Then remove to cooling rack and let cool completely.