I love using my slow cooker for making soup on our busy days because it is ready for my daughter at 4:00 before her gymnastics, at 5 for my husband and other daughter, and it is still warm when I get home from my workout later in the evening. Plus, the house smells amazing all day.!
Like most soup recipes, this recipe is versatile. You can switch out the vegetables for ones that you already have in your pantry or fridge and add whatever herbs or spices you like. My daughters devour this soup as is. My husband prefers to add some sambal.
MAKES 4-6 SERVINGS
- 1 litre organic vegetable broth. Note: if the container only comes in 900ml, just add 100 of water rather than buying another container.
- 1 cup green lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 1 cup potatoes, cut into small chunks
- 3/4 cup carrots, cut into small chunks
- 1/2 medium sized yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 cup crushed/diced tomatoes, canned or fresh
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Throw everything (but the salt) into your slow cooker on high for 3 hours (low for 6 hours). Keep on “warm” until ready to serve.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.