I really tried to get my youngest to make a healthier recipe, maybe a savory recipe, but she only had chocolate chips on her mind. I couldn’t fight with her with that cute face! So, here we go, a classic chocolate chip cookie, made vegan. I added a bit of unsweetened chocolate to add a bit more interest to the cookie. My husband brought me back a huge chunk from Africa, so I have been looking for ways to use it.These cookies are slightly chewy in the middle and crispy on the outside.
My next recipe will be a bit more exciting and definitely healthier!
MAKES 24 COOKIES
– 1 tablespoon powdered egg-replacer
– 1/4 cup water
– 1 cup organic cane sugar
– 1/2 cup non-dairy butter (I used Earth Balance – soy-free)
– 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
– 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 teaspoon baking soda
– 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
– 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
– 1/4 cup unsweetened chocolate or dark chocolate, chopped
1. Prepare your “eggs” by adding 1/4 cup of water to 1 tablespoon of egg-replacer. Set aside. In the meantime, preheat your oven to 350F.
2. In a mixer, cream your butter and sugar on high for 1 minute until fluffy and well combined.
3. Add in the “eggs” and vanilla and mix until combined.
4. Mix together your dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Fold into the wet ingredients.
5. Fold in your chocolate.
6. Scoop out your cookies using a cookie scope or tablespoon onto a greased or lined cookie sheet. Make sure they are at least 1-2 inches apart.
7. Bake for approximately 11 minutes, or until the edges have set but the middle still looks undercooked.